Monday 18 June 2012

May- Books, Films and Concerts

I thought it was about time to write up the books and films I saw in May, before June is finished! I only read three books, it would have been five but two I started and could not get into them.

I start with Gillespie and I by Jane Harris, this novel I enjoyed a lot. It tells of Harriet Baxter, who leaves London to go to Glasgow, an avid art- lover she befriends Ned Gillespie and his extended family. She tries to help them whenever possible, but eventually something terrible happens that may destroy everything. It goes back and forth from present day where an elderly Harriet is writing her memoirs.

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell is another enjoyable novel. Lincoln O `Neill is a bit of loner, he works at night for The Courier as Internet Security Officer, one of the aspects of his job is to read e-mails when they have been flagged up. He begins to read the e-mails of Beth and Jennifer. I cannot help himself instead of sending them a warning he keeps of reading them and eventually falls in love with Beth. It is a easy book to read, but fun.

Lastly I read The Bad Girl by Mario Vargas Llosa, set in the beginning in Peru, Ricardo meet the bad girl and promtly falls for her. He then moves to Paris and meets her again training to be a communist as Comrade Arlette. She disappears and reappears in his life throughout the years and he always takes her back. I enjoyed the book, although I could not see what he sees in her that he always goes back to her whenever she reappears in his life.


The films I saw in May were The Avengers no need to explain that one, then One for the Money with Katherine Heigl based on the Janet Evanovich book of the same name. I enjoyed the film but not having read the book cannot say how it compares.

The Lucky One with Zac Efron also a book by Nichlas Sparks, a soldier in Iraq finds a photo of a girl. It was lying on the ground and it just happens to save his life, he is then determined to find out who she is and thank her. An enjoyable film to see and of course romantic.

Bel Ami with Robert Patterson set in Paris, he play George Duroy, meets up with an old friend and he help Duroy get a job and meet lots of people who elevate his placing in society.

Finally Salmon Fishing in the Yemen set in Scotland, London and Yemen(Morocco), it is a romantic comedy film. Ewan McGregor stars Alfred an expert on Salmon fisheries for the British Government is approached by a sheik who want to introduce salmon fishing in the Yemen. From the book of the same name by Paul Torday which I have also read. I certainly enjoyed seeing the scenes in Scotland and just love Ewan`s accent!

Finally of course I saw Coldplay at the end of May which was just a brilliant concert!

No comments:

Post a Comment