Sunday 28 October 2012

A Day Out in Berwick upon Tweed















During my recent trip back to Scotland my sister and I took a day trip just over the border to Berwick upon Tweed in Northumberland. Normally we try to go away for a few days like last year we went to Belfast, but this year it was not possible to do that.

We walked around the defensive town walls which gave us lovely views of the sea and of the different bridges over the river Tweed including Stephenson`s viaduct bridge. There is not too much left of the fortress except the walls and some canons. Berwick has been in the hands of the English and Scottish over the centuries, many battles have been fought but now it is in England. Although the football team plays in the Scottish football league.

We enjoyed a lovely lunch and looked at the shops, did our walk and hit the pub for a wee drink in the late afternoon. We saw Berwick Parish Church which is now a gift shop and cafe in it, we did not go there for a coffee.

I particularly like the name The Old Whaling House, I think it belong to the house with the red door and if so it looked like a really nice house to live in.

Next year we will see where my sister and I will go, hopefully it will be for a few days but it will be in the UK as there is lots to explore.

1 comment:

  1. Just looks like a gorgeous place. I'd love to go there.

    ReplyDelete