Wednesday 1 November 2017

A Day in Ghent








Gravsteen Castle








During the October holidays Alessio and I went to Belgium along with my father for one week. Visiting Belgium had been on my list as the cities looked really beautiful and both my father and myself wanted to visit the many different WW1 sights.

We travelled to Ghent from our base Brugge which is not that far on the train, Ghent is the third largest city in Belgium with a population of around 250,000.

We took a tram from the train station as it seemed a bit of a hike to walk into the city centre. Once there we visited St Bavo cathedral, which is noted for the Ghent Alterpiece by the brothers Hubert and Jan van Eyck. I did not go to see it but my father went and highly praised it!

Afterwards we wondered around the old town looking at the buildings and canals, eventually we found a place to eat. Afterwards we visited Gravsteen Castle, we walked around, climbed many steps and had great views of the city.

Again we just explored the city by walking and lucky old me found an English bookshop, so had to have to look around.

To be honest it was not my favorite city in Belgium, maybe we just visited on the wrong day or something as I was not impressed. (sorry)

I hope you all had a great Halloween, we had a small party at my home and it was fun! Yesterday evening Alessio went trick or treating with some friends and got some goodies!!



No comments:

Post a Comment