Saturday 28 September 2019

An Afternoon in Andorra


Paris Bridge













In February I went to Barcelona with my friend Arlene and there we met up with my father. The main reason was to see FC Barcelona play, as my father and Arlene had not been to see them. For me it would be my 4th time.

Anyway while we were in Barcelona, I got my phone nicked while we were in the metro. I stupidly had it in my coat pocket. So when we went to Andorra, I used my friend's phone, to cut a long story short I have only now managed to put them onto google photos. I am not tech savvy at all.

The trip from Barcelona takes around 3 hours one way and you can only go by bus or car. I had booked us bus tickets before we arrived in Barcelona. Andorra is as you may or not not know a landlocked country nestled in the Pyrenees. Officially known as the Principality of Andorra and the capital is called Andorra La Vella and is the highest capital city in Europe at 1,023m above sea level.

It is the sixth smallest nation in Europe, the other nations are Monaco, Liechtenstein, Malta, Vatican City and San Marino. The only one I have not been to yet is San Marino. The official language is Catalan.

Well we did not have a lot of time, but in all honesty it was enough to see the main sights. Obviously in winter, the main activity is skiing and the other seasons there is lots hiking possible. One of the main attractions is shopping, there are many, many shops considering how small the place. Since Arlene and I are not so keen on shopping this part was not so interesting.

There is Casa de la Vall, a historical house, which is the headquarters of the General Council in Andorra. There the Esglesia de Sant Esteve, built in the 11th to 12th century and bridge called Puente de Paris, which means Paris bridge.

Obviously it is a long way to go from such a short time, but we both found it enough for our purposes, on the bus trip back we were caught in long queues going over the border. So we got back much later than expected, but still managed to have some dinner and drinks with my father.


No comments:

Post a Comment