Monday 13 April 2020

Bletchley Park, UK

















Hope you all had a great Easter! As you can imagine Alessio and I spent it eating, walking, cycling(him), reading(me), xbox(him) and watching TV.

The beginning of March I went to London for a long weekend. The last trip before most places/countries went into a shutdown. It was a present from myself and my sister, Elena for our mothers' 70th birthday which was the end of December.

One of the places my mother and to be honest me, have always wanted to visit was Bletchely Park. For those who don't know what Bletchley Park was it was where all the allied code-breaking took place during WWII. There have been numerous films about the place, such as Enigma and The Imitation Game which are both very good.

There is a lot to take in so you need the whole day, not far from London about 50miles and then  a short walk from the train station. First there is an short film to explain the place, then an exhibition too. It is a bit cheaper to buy the tickets online.

Then you leave the main building and head into the complex. There are many huts where lots of different aspects of the code-breaking went on. Quite frankly I was rather lost on how it was all done, as maths it NOT my subject.  It shows how the men and women were able to decipher the codes from the Enigma machines and Tunny machines. It is said that the work done at Bletchley  Park shortened the war by up to 2 years.

The men and women who worked at Bletchley signed the Official Secrets Act and even long after the war they could not tell their families what they did during the work.

It is well worth a visit if you are interested in WWII and history in general. The gift shop had lots of interesting stuff to buy. I bought a book(of course) about the men and women who worked here. It was very interesting!

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment